Sunday, September 24, 2006

Love Foolosophy

A Jamiroquai tune. Here's the vid. Cute, disco-y & not a bad dance track. But in it it contains a line that's deeper than the nature of the tune. The song itself is about - well see for yourself:

"Baby Baby, I feel these sweet sensations
Honey honey, looks like a superstar
She' got a promise of love-struck fascination
What am I to do? How am I to know?
Who you are
And this love, Fool, osophy is killing
Previous illusions that
I had in my mind about you
Seems so true, all the lies you're telling
Tragically compelling and
My love it means nothing to you
So maybe I'm still a love Fool
She shimmers like a California sunset
Lady lady, glitters but theres no gold
She carries sweetly infectious magic formulas
I'm so delirious, is she that serious?
Or is she bringing me on, I've been waiting so long
And this love, Fool, osophy is killing
Previous illusions that
I had in my mind about you
Seems so true, all the lies you're telling
Tragically compelling and
My love it means nothing to you
So maybe I'm still a love Fool
I don't want the world I want you
I don't want the world I want you
I don't want the world I want you"


Guy digs a girl but he's not sure how she's playing him. In fact he's leaning towards the idea that she is just playing him. But he still can't break away from her. Why?

All men are suckers from time to time. & all women are suckers from time to time. It's something we cannot help. We want to hope for an outcome that we find acceptable so much that sometimes we're blinded to the reality of the situation. Or sometimes we even see the situation for what it is but don't act on that in the hopes that it will change to our favor.

Consequently we all play someone at some point in our lives, often without realizing we're doing it. I've done it without meaning to & I'm sure anyone who reads this has as well.

Partly this is because of not being able to truly understand the opposite sex. It's just difficult for men to convey certain things to women as the men mean them & vice versa.

Which is why it may not be obvious as to what the line I was talking about earlier is or why it's so meaningful.

"I don't want the world I want you"

When I first heard the song I was just digging the groove, then that line came up & I stopped. I'd felt that way before & would afterwards feel that way again.

Men are ambitious, both by nature & upbringing. Every guy has aspirations of being the next Alexander the Great. Conquering the world & expanding his influence. The mildest most timid geeky nerdy 90 pound paper pusher has that same ambition even if only in passing.

I have it my damn self. I just suppress the hell out of it as most men do. But there's not much internal doubt that I can do anything that's possible for a human to do if I applied myself. But then we get into "can" & "should" which is a little off base for where I'm going with this but it explains why I suppress the urge to invade Europe & Asia on an off weekend.

When a man loves a woman so deeply that he'd forsake his natural inclination towards world dominance - it'd be almost comparable to a woman saying she loves a man more than chocolate, or shoes, or massages.

I don't think most women understand what it means to a man to feel that way, just like we wouldn't grasp the meaning of a woman caring more about us than say chocolate or shoes or massages.

That kind of caring makes men very easy marks for a woman who's looking to use him or just being negligent with her affections. & the kicker? Men don't care. When we feel that deeply it doesn't matter if we're played or not. As long as we can cling to the slightest bit of hope that it'll work out we're cool. Well take a lot of abuse & suffer quietly for months or even years if we think it'll get us closer to our goal. Eventually a line will be crossed & it's different for each guy but from the outside we seem like fools for enduring things under those circumstances.

But it is the way it is. We can't alter that about ourselves. & most people see it (from the outside) as a weakness. & it is, in the same way that caring about someone is a weakness. Its not an easy thing to go through something like that, let alone risk going through it again. Or maybe its just a lack of good sense. I'm still not sure about that. But you shouldn’t ever think a guy is weak because he feels that way. He may be weak but it wouldn’t be because of or indicated by that.

There is someone I could feel that way about but I’ll hold back as long as I can before I take that plunge again (especially cause things don't seem to be going well) or at least before I admit to myself that I've taken the plunge (cause likely I have already despite the circumstances). But this post is about the feeling in general, as I don't think most women really understand that kind of caring coming from a man. Course there are tons of things than men don't get about women, but odds are I'd get it wrong if I started to explore that side of the coin.

As an aside I also really dug the imagery from the first half of the second verse

"She shimmers like a California sunset
Lady lady glitters but there's no gold"


But that's another topic

No comments: