Monday, October 2, 2006

Fallin' In Love (Is Hard On The Knees)

No I'm not complaining about getting old. Well not right now at least. It's an Aerosmith tune. Maybe not my fav but it always makes me smile a bit. It's chock full of more witticisms than a catalog of bad country tunes, but it pulls them off with a little dignity. Here's Aerosmith doing it live in Japan back in '99.

"I'm Jonesin' on love
Yeah I got the DT's
You say that we will
But there ain't no guarantees
I major in love
But in all minor keys
Cause falling in love is so hard on the knees"


But the thing that always gets me is in the last verse:

"You ain't that good
Is what you said down to the letter
But you like the way I hold the microphone
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad
I'm even better
Don't give me no lip
I've got enough of my own"


If you recall what Steven Tyler looks like you'll understand the only way that could have been funnier is if Mick Jagger had sung that verse. But maybe I'm just partial. Any singer who can croon that his "get up & go has got up & went" has enough of a self depreciating sense of humor that it reminds me of me.

& like most songs about unrequited love the message is valid - it ain't easy to go through. Hell it ain't even easy to remember the feeling years later. But it doesn't approach it in the sappy co-dependent way that most attempts at the subject do.

& the execution is typical Aerosmith. Bluesy, soulful yet not wishy-washy. It won't make you feel better if you're bummed about a love interest. No song will do that, not even something by Babyface. We are musicians, not magicians & they're songs, not magic. But it can help you understand what you feel, or at least find a little comfort in the idea that you ain't the only one to go through something like this. & it might even make you smile a little. That's about as much as you can hope for in a song - emotion, empathy & a little humor. If you've never heard it or it's been a while give it a listen again even if your love life is going well.

No comments: