Saturday, October 21, 2006

Did I Shave My Legs For This?

Deana Carter. Cute song. Here's a vid of it. I won't be talking about it though. It just made for a convenient title.

Ever have a bad day? I mean everything went wrong that could go wrong that you didn't think would or could go wrong. Well welcome to my friggin' decade.

The main thing I wish to bitc, er I mean discuss is the alleged gig last night.

Benefits are always fucked up. The timing is never as planned & there are always problems. If it's for a good cause it's usually bearable & tonight is no exception. Hell, the guy has cancer. When I heard people ask how much time he has left the reply was simply "not much". So I'll put up with some hassle if it helps the guy out.

That does not mean I shan't bitch about it.

The band that fronted the thing was pretty decent. The drummer was a show off in a very entertaining way. At one point he left the kit & was playing tables, beer bottles, shot glasses, etc... all the way around the bar. The stage was crowded as hell though. The drum kit took up the front third of the stage. The guitar player had a Marshall half stack taking up most of the left third (that'd be stage left) & the bass & other guitar players & percussionist had to crowd into the right third.

They took a break & I went for a smoke. I told the guy who asked me to play that I'd be outside & to holler when they needed me. So I was sitting there smoking talking to some girl who just moved up from Texas when I heard the band crank up again. They obviously went ahead & used the other guitar player first. No biggie but I felt slightly slighted that they didn't let me know what was happening. Still, no biggie.

I had some friends come out (thanks y'all) & spent some time chatting with them. They're an older couple & the guy plays guitar. Real damn well I might add. I've seen his band play a few times & this was the first chance he had to return the favor. So I was touched that they made it out, especially since I met them through an ex-g/f.

So the band takes a break. I go up to see what's shaking. The main band is going to play a set by themselves. I'm feeling a little shaky about things but it's still cool. They play & when they take another break I set up my amp. The stage is so crowded I'm standing on the floor in front of the stage & one of the mains (that'd be main speakers). Again no biggie; good cause & all.

We do three tunes before we take another break. I can't even recall what the second & third songs were. The first was Old Time Rock'n'Roll. I remember it so well because A: I used to play in an oldies/50's/doo-wop band that opened the main show with that one & B: cause it was the only solo I got all set. & that was split with the other guitar player.

So we take a break & I'm feeling uneasy about the other guitar player. There's a certain etiquette involved in sharing a stage, especially with someone who plays your instrument. You do a little deferring to the other guy if it's your gig. When I had other guitar players sit in with my bands I always made sure they got to play. Not just hanging in the background trying to scrape out a rhythm from what I left over, but they got to play. But some musicians (especially guitar players) tend to hog all they can. Still it was for a good cause so I was trying to be cool about things.

We got back up & played a few more tunes. Again no solos. I was pretty much trying to find parts that the other guitar player wasn't playing as a rhythm & not soloing at all. Then they introduce me & the percussion player to the audience. Now keep in mind I'm having trouble hearing what tunes they're calling out cause the guitar player is doing the calling from the other side of the stage & ain't bothering to clue me in. No biggie as I catch on quick, but I must not have heard them say they were going the rest of it alone. The guitar player then finally decides to pay me some attention. He does so by saying quite loudly while looking directly at me "Don't accompany us. We know this one."

So I put down my guitar & went outside to have a smoke. It's bad manners where I come from to tear down your gear while the other guys are playing. So I chill. I make a mental note that though it won't likely come up in any meaningful way I'll never play with that bloated ass ham sandwich swiping crusty toed omnivorous bastard that's playing a six string cranked up way too loud for the room. But otherwise I chill.

I grab my gear when they're through playing then chat with my buddy & his wife for a few as they're leaving. He at least heard enough of my playing that he wants me to get together with him & show him some jazz stuff (he's a helluva blues player) which flattered me. I figured they couldn't have heard much of anything I was doing through the other person behind an instrument that vaguely resembled mine but apparently they did.

To be fair the guy was an alright guitar player. He was just ill mannered.

After my friends split I made it a point to shake everyone's hand in the band but his. I grabbed my gear & left.

That was pretty much it. Not the worst playing experience I've ever had; unfortunately I've run into some rude bastards on various stages. But it was an unaccustomed low point in my attempts at a career out here.

What makes it worse is that the guy who invited me out is looking to put together a band. I can't say I'm as thrilled at his proposal as I was before tonight. The company he keeps is going to make me question his manners. Don't get me wrong; as long as the cash is right I'll play. Course I know damn well the price I set to play with that guitar player from last night will be nigh on ridiculously high.

& that was the highlight of my day. It started off with a date that was going well for a while but unfortunately ended on a less than pleasant note coupled with another visit from the neighborhood crack ho' (to be fair I have no idea if she's a "ho" or not, but she does seem to be on the rock.). Babygirl wanted to use the phone & ended up hanging out for about 30 minutes (when I was trying to get ready & split for the gig) till her connecti, er friend came to pick her up. & no; I still didn't sleep with her. Actually I feel bad for her & I've kinda always been a soft touch for strays. So I let her use the phone & try to talk her into treating herself better. She claims she agrees with what I tell her but I know it's just bullshit to her. She won't change anytime soon & eventually I'll cut her off (there are pay phones within walking distance) but for now I feel sorry for the girl.

& the date - I can't really discuss it, even here & with anonymity for the other party because I realized afterwards that I have some problems that I have to deal with that have effected her so I have to chat with her about things before I feel cool disclosing anything else. Suffice it to say it wasn't anything horrific it just should have went cooler for both of us cause we're pretty good friends.

So that was my Friday night. It sucked, but at least it sucked for a good cause.

To those of you who didn't make it out I'm really kinda glad you didn't. I'm not mega-egotistical but I always felt that if you get disrespected it should be done in front of as few of your friends as possible.

& no I didn't shave my legs for that. I just wish I wouldn't have worn my good heels.

One last gripe. It was supposed to be a blues gig but they mainly did classic rock stuff. It was alright & all, but not as soothing. So I've got ye olde music engine cranked to my Blues playlist & I'm going just think about times when it felt better to feel bad.

No comments: